Monday, March 5, 2012

Purple Rain Cocktail

Day 19



Purple Rain
3 shots out of 5



Purple Rain.......no not the song by Prince, the cocktail Purple Rain.  

I had seen a couple yummy looking purple cocktails on pinterest and thought, I love purple.....lets do it!  

Purple Rain is a cocktail that came up on my search of cocktails, so I investigated its ingredients.  Not so easy, every listing of Purple Rain I found had yet another set of ingredients then the one before it.  

I chose one, gave it a shot and COULD NOT for the life of my make it turn purple!  Frustrated with my shades of blue, I sat down at my computer and did......yet another.......search for Purple Rain.  

I found one that had simple enough instructions as to where at the end you add a tiny bit more Blue Curaçao until you get a deep purple color.  

That sounded more controllable then the other one I tried.

Needless to say, it worked!!  

Yeay!!  

Only thing was........I had to revisit my new friend.....gin.  

OK, we were pretty friendly last time, so this time should be fine.  

It was!  

I must say, I enjoyed tonight's cocktail.  Therefore gin moved up a couple notches on my belt.


I gave Purple Rain 3 shots out of 5.  

Reason being, this cocktail isn't extremely flavorful where the strongest flavor I could taste was the gin.  That being said, the gin taste was not enough to make me not enjoy it.  

All in all, I have enjoyed my second cocktail with gin.  My husband who if you remember likes gin said that it tastes good and reminds him of a gin tonic.

Side note, be careful out there when searching for cocktails!  I did an "Images" search for Purple Rain as well as purple cocktails and when I clicked on a few of the purple cocktails I got virus alerts!  Just wanted to pass that on to you all.  When I've done a regular google "Everything" search for these cocktails (purple and not) I've run into no viruses at all.  Not to say that each and every search you do will turn up with no viruses if you use the "Everything" search, but that's just what I've found recently.



Here is a photo of the end result:



Here is a photo of the ingredients:



Here's the recipe for Purple Rain:

  • 1 1/2 shots of gin
  • cranberry juice
  • splash of blue curaçao
  • splash of sweet & sour mix
  • splash of club soda

Fill your tall glass with ice.  Pour in the gin, then fill the rest of the glass "almost" to the top with cranberry juice.  Add your blue curaçao, sweet & sour mix and club soda.  Gently stir all of your ingredients together and examine.  If your cocktail is not deep purple, add a tiny bit more blue curaçao to it and stir.  Keep doing that until your cocktail becomes a deep purple color.  I only had to add one small amount of blue curaçao to my cocktail at the end, so just judge the color yourself to find the right purple color.




Did you notice that I changed the order of my pictures inside tonight's post?  Why did I do that you ask?  Simple, when I link this page to my facebook page the "ingredients" photo is always the picture that represents my post, and I'd rather have the "end result" show up, therefore I switched the photos and will do so from now on.

Hope you enjoy tonight's cocktail!

The Cocktail Lady

Cocktail Lady
Cocktail Lady

Hello! My name is Jen and I am The Cocktail Lady. I am a married mom of 4 who loves creating and trying new cocktails.

6 comments:

  1. Haha, I was singing it all last night while I was searching it and trying to get it purple! All of the photos of Prince that kept popping up didn't help at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Switch the gin with vodka and the sweet & sour mix/club soda with pineapple juice/lime juice. I guarantee you would switch that 3 to a 5!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that does sound a bit better!! Would I still call it Purple Rain, or should it have a new name? If so, it could be another night's cocktail! Cheers!

      Delete
  3. A nice purple drink :) I didn't taste the gin much at all with all that cranberry juice, but I liked it and particularly the purple color! I think it's a 3.5 or 4 shot drink. I'll probably make this one again. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple is my favorite color, so the more purple (tasty sounding) cocktails I can find the better! Glad you like this one too!!

      Delete