Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Tropical Dream

Day 127



A Tropical Dream
4 shots out of 5



I got myself a bottle of Malibu Coconut Rum with Mango Liqueur at my local grocery store recently and tonight is the night to try it!  

I like love Malibu Coconut Rum and I do like the flavor of mango, so I thought this would be a good buy!


I gave tonight's cocktail 4 shots out of 5.  

I can taste feel the alcohol in this cocktail!  

It is warming up my insides and making me smile.  

This cocktail definitely needs to be chilled....what I mean by that is, when your husband runs the dishwasher with your large cocktail shaker in it before you realize what's happening and you can't use it to make tonight's cocktail, you'll need to stir it up in a large glass with ice vigorously and then strain it into a tall cocktail glass filled 3/4 of the way up with ice.  

For me mostly all of my cocktails need to be chilled.  I just can't drink a warm cocktail.

Unless it's supposed to be warm of course.

Actually no.

Either a cocktail should be chilled or hot.  

If a cocktail is warm it's either because you waited too long to enjoy your freshly shaken cocktail, or you let your hot cocktail cool down too much and now it's just warm.  Yuck.

I am drinking and enjoying this cocktail......but it's getting a little on the "not chilled enough" side which isn't good.....hmmmm.....bottoms up I guess!



Here is a photo of the end result:

a tropical dream cocktail, vanilla vodka, malibu rum with mango, coconut rum, banana schnapps, orange juice, pineapple juice

Here is a photo of the ingredients:

a tropical dream cocktail, vanilla vodka, malibu rum with mango, coconut rum, banana schnapps, orange juice, pineapple juice


Here is the recipe for A Tropical Dream:

  • 1 oz vanilla vodka
  • 1 oz Malibu Rum with Mango
  • 1 oz banana schnapps
  • 1 oz coconut rum
  • 2 oz orange juice
  • 2 oz pineapple juice
I realized half way through making this cocktail that I should have halved the ingredients....oh well.

In a shaker add ice and all ingredients.  Shake everything up real good.  Strain it into a tall cocktail glass and enjoy!



Here's to always making sure that you have your cocktail shaker with you when it's cocktail time!

Cheers!!

The Cocktail Lady

Cocktail Lady
Cocktail Lady

Hello! My name is Jen and I am The Cocktail Lady. I am a married mom of 4 who loves creating and trying new cocktails.

7 comments:

  1. You've used Banana Schnapps a couple of times now. I don't have that....do you think Banana liqueur would be pretty similar? How do you store all your bottles!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I had a bottle of Creme De Banana before this bottle of banana schnapps......I liked it better then the schnapps and think I will make a special trip to my BevMo to get another one very soon.

      This bottle of schnapps I have says it's a Banana Schnapps Liqueur, and doing some investigation (wiki, lol) it says that schnapps is an American Liqueur. Reason being, when American's made these products we put sugar in them, which gives them the name schnapps. To answer your question, I think they are both pretty much the same thing and that you would be safe buying either one.

      The Creme De Banana I used earlier in my blog though tastes a little creamier (not as harsh as the schnapps), which I like better. It adds more of a banana-ey flavor, instead of an alcohol banana flavor. Even when I open up this bottle of schnapps and take a whif I can smell banana and alcohol, but when I would do that to the Creme De Banana all I smelled was banana.....mmmmmmm.

      How do I store all of my bottles? We found a matching hutch to our entertainment system at IKEA, which works perfectly as a bar! I think what I'll do is take a photo of it and put it under my "New Cocktail Equiptment and Supplies" tab so that everyone can see it! Don't judge when you see it though..........it's loaded with alcohol, glasses and liqueurs........waaay too many! But I do need it all.....and I know there's more out there that I don't have....kinda crazy I know =)

      Thank You for the questions! =)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I guess I'll feel free to sub something close when I don't have it. I love how creative you are! We typically don't drink much, just some special occasions. But reading your blog has inspired me to try a few new things. Some have been great, some not for us, but it's fun, and I love reading your reviews. Keep up the great work.

      Delete
    3. Thank You so much! Yes, some of these I have almost gagged on myself!! Glad you are enjoying my blog! Let me know if you have any favorites you'd like me to try!! Cheers!!

      Delete
  2. You know that particular banana schnapps is 99 proof, right? That may be why the taste is a little overwhelming ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely!! I'm sure that was one of the main contributors to my happy state that night. Ha ha.

      Delete
  3. This could be a dangerous drink :) I didn't have vanilla vodka, so I used regular vodka with a splash of vanilla, didn't have mango rum, so used a shot of regular. Even with all the alcohol in it, it didn't taste much like alcohol with the fruit juices. So if it wasn't so sweet, you could drink a few of these, and get quite loopy :) I would give this 4 shots, tastes great, but one is enough since it's pretty sweet.

    I really am enjoying trying these cocktails even if I have to sub some ingredients. And now that I'm more or less back on my two feet, I feel free to try :)

    ReplyDelete